Monday, November 5, 2012

Burgundy Stew with Herb Dumplings

This is what I'm making for dinner tonight. I don't know where I picked up this recipe but I also found it here on Pillsbury.com. I've never made this before and I've never has this so this post isn't a true review but it smells fantastic and I just had to share :)

This is definitely food out of my comfort zone. I haven't cooked much with wine and I'm not a very good cook normally. I don't enjoy it that much but I do enjoy cooking with the slow cooker. It's so easy and I don't have to worry about trying to get dinner ready during the baby's fussy time which is usually 5 to 8 pm every night.

So here's a picture of it in my crock pot. I've decided to forgo the dumplings this time. I will make them next time. We just bought french bread for tonight.

                                        My camera is not very good but at least you can see it lol.



And here's the recipe

Burgundy Stew with Herb Dumplings

2 lb beef boneless bottom or top round (I used stew meat in this because it was cheaper) cut into 1 in pieces
4 medium carrots, cut into 1/4 inch slices (I used baby carrots and just chopped them in half)
2 medium onions sliced
2 medium celery stalks, sliced
1 can diced tomatoes undrained (I accidentally  drained mine. Hope it doesn't matter lol)
1 can sliced mushrooms (this was omitted. I can't stand mushrooms!)
3/4 cup dry red wine
1 and 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp ground dry mustard
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 cup water
3 tbsp all purpose flour

Mix all the ingredients except for water and flour (I mixed the spices and the wine in a separate bowl and poured it over the veggies and beef). Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or until veggies and beef are tender. Mix water and flour gradually stir into beef mixture.

Prepare herb dumplings using recipe below. Drop by spoonfuls onto hot beef mixture, cover, and cook on high for 25 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. 

Dumplings

Mix 1 and 1/2 cups Bisquick, 1/2 tsp dried thyme, and 1/4 tsp dried sage. Stir in 1/2 cup of milk just until baking mix is moistened.  

2 comments:

  1. It looks wonderful! Can almost smell it. I don't enjoy cooking either but it's a necessary "evil" so I do it. I'm with you on the crockpot. Have you use the crockpot bags? If I'm doing something I know will be messy, I use a bag. My daughter loves me then. ;-) I'll be trying this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never even heard of crockpot bags! I will be finding them now and buying them :) This was was good except I thought there was way to much thyme. It seemed to overpower everything else. When I make this again I will either use only half the thyme or omit it. Thanks for stopping by and commenting :)

    ReplyDelete