Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Be like children

Matthew 18


1At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, “Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?”
2He called a little child and had him stand among them. 3And he said: “I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 4Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
5“And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me. 6But if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea.

This verse popped into my head today and I wanted to write a little post about it. I homeschool my oldest son right now. I want to school him all the way through school but my husband doesn't. We came to a compromise that I will school my son until we can move to a better school district because the one we are in is horrible. That is a decision that both of us are comfortable with :)
Anyway, I use the Sonlight 1st grade complete curriculum. They have a book for Bible time called 'Leading Little Ones to God'. This isn't a review but I wanted to take a few minutes to talk about this book. As we have been reading it over the weeks since school started I have noticed more and more that my son seems to 'get it'. I see his eyes light up when we talk about God. I see him understanding more. I see his talking more about what God wants from us. This book has laid things out in a way that my almost 7 year old totally understands it. But even more than that, the book is laid out so even my 7 year old's 33 year old mother understands it too. :)
The lessons are short and I get so much out of them. It's weird for me to get such inspiration from a children's book since I have been reading at college level since I was 10. However, I think that since I didn't grow up a Christian, and it's only been about 4 years since I really began to learn about God on and off, I really am like a child when it comes to knowing God.

Maybe that's been my issue all along. I've had a rough road with my faith and I've wanted to throw in the towel and go back to being an agnostic many times. But I've kept going and growing. Now that I have this book maybe I will learn some of the basics about God and Christianity that I seem to be missing.

Be like children. How many other ways can I go from being cynical to having a child-like faith in my God? Be like children. What can I learn from my own children? I think that I've been so focused on teaching my children how to grow that I've not grown myself.

Maybe these boys need to teach me just as much as I need to teach them!






Growing Homea-wise-woman-builds-her-home

I Was Featured On...Also linked at Serving Joyfully




No comments:

Post a Comment