Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Don't we all need encouragement from time to time?


I know I sure do. It's been a crazy ride here the last few days. I feel better today and in talking to my mom today I think she might have stumbled across something. She looked up chronic fatigue syndrome and it fits me almost to a T. It's hard to diagnose and I do know the dangers of self diagnosing from the internet but there are some home remedies I am going to try. Some of it is common sense and I don't see how it could hurt to regulate my sleep schedule and reduce my stress :)

Now to the meat of my post, encouragement.

Everyone goes through times in their life that are super hard and they need encouragement. Sometimes we get that encouragement from other people and sometimes it just doesn't come. I've found that I need to find my own encouragement. One of the best ways to do that is to turn to the Bible. There is so much scripture that can lift the spirit up. Here are some verses that have helped me in the past,

Isaiah 41:10 fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Zephaniah 3:17 The LORD your God is in your midst, a mighty one who will save; he will rejoice over you with gladness; he will quiet you by his love; he will exult over you with loud singing.

Matthew 11:28-29 Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

I love these verses. Especially the one from Matthew. Rest in the Lord, is there anything better than that?

I have found sometimes though, that scripture isn't always enough when I feel really discouraged (is it bad to admit this? Oh well it's true!). It helps and it does comfort me a lot. There are just times that I feel I need to connect somehow with myself better. Focus on my successes and not on my failures. Focus on the gifts and blessings that I have been given instead of my shortcomings and wants.

I think that today is a good day to start writing down the things that I am thankful for. Maybe I will start a weekly thing out of this. Thankful Tuesdays? I don't know :)

Here's my thankful list, I think I will keep it around 10 things today.
1) I'm thankful that my boys are healthy and thriving.
2) I'm thankful to be growing another life inside me.
3) I'm thankful that soon I will have 3 boys
4) I'm thankful my husband is such a wonderful father to our children
5) I'm thankful my husband works so hard to provide for our family so I can stay home
6) I'm thankful for God's love and guidance
7) I'm thankful for this beautiful weather!
8) I'm thankful that we don't have to worry when our next meal will be
9) I'm thankful for sticky kisses and fingerprints on mirrors.
10) I'm thankful that God gives us second chances.







7 comments:

  1. Great post girl! and totally on track with what I blogged too :) Finding motivation and encouragement in the WORD! Come link up with me! I started hosting a link up for women being real.

    http://risingwiththeson.blogspot.com/2012/03/lets-be-honest-week-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank so much! I will come and check out your blog and link up :) I hope you have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for linking up with me!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found you via Rising with the Son link up. I pray for you and how your feeling. I have been diagnosed with chronic illness, fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue, and pray you do not have to experience. However, feel free to check out my blog...I've "survived" for over 5 years now and try to use my blog for positivity and encouragement.

    I agree...we all need encouragement! I think it is something that gets one through rough times...a kind word. I appreciated your post, and am now following.

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can relate to the discouragement. There are times when it seems overwhelming. I LOVE that you turned to being thankful. I wish I could remember to do that every time. You are such an example! I heard an idea from a friend to start a "blessings" where you record things that God has blessed you with. Thought I'd share that idea...makes me want to go write in mine talking about it. I'll pray God encourages and strengthens you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Erin, thank you so much. I will be checking out your blog later :)

    @Kathy, I wish I could remember to do that every time too! Some days it's so easy to remember to be thankful and some days... not so much. I can throw temper tantrums with the best of 'em when things don't go my way :)

    I do like the idea your friend had. That way your blessings are always at the forefront of your mind and you can also look back and have proof of what you have been blessed with :)

    I hope that both of you ladies have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete