Monday, April 25, 2011

Lord have mercy on me!

Luke 18: 10-13

10 "Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood up and prayed about himself: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other men--robbers, evildoers, adulterers--or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.' 13 "But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, 'God, have mercy on me, a sinner.'

What a powerful story this is. We all want to be like the second man, we all think we are like the second man, but sometimes we all act like the first man.

I was actually convicted of this last night when I was talking to my husband. I went on and on about how no one takes a stand anymore and about how we all need to use the gifts we get from the spirit. Then I realized just how few the times are that I actually stand up. That lead me to really think about the things I do, and I realized I'm more like the first man than I care to admit.

My prayers of thanksgiving have a faint tone of 'ha ha ha, I'm so much better' to them. I give thanks that I'm a keeper of the home but it doesn't stop there and I say how horrible it is that more women dont' think like me.

I give thanks for my healthy family and then pray for the children I know who's family dynamic is different than mine. Not abusive, neglectful, or dysfunctional, just DIFFERENT.

I somehow think I have all the answers because I have the gift of discernment. It's such a double edged sword. Discernment can be helpful to a church and to individual people but it can also make you prideful and think you know all the answers.

None of us are worthy or righteous except through Christ and our human nature can sometimes make us think that we have all the answers when we don't. Prayers of thanks are a wonderful thing but I think that we need to be mindful of the fact that a prayer of thanks is one thing but a prayer of thanks that you are better than someone else is another. God knows all the answers, not us, and definatly not ME!

God, have mercy on me, a sinner!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing such an heart honest post! Bright blessings!

    ReplyDelete