Friday, April 22, 2011

Good Friday musings...

So this year is really the first year that I have really FELT the meaning behind Good Friday. My Christian walk has been spotty and halting and I've never really gotten into the celebrations. This year is different though. The cross is heavy on my mind today.

In my online travels I've only come across a few postings about Good Friday. I expect it on more secular websites etc, but when a Christian based website or forum isn't talking about Good Friday I feel like there is something wrong. Have we all forgotten what this day means to us, and to the world? Has the suffering that Jesus went through been reduced to a small footnote in history?

We cannot joyfully proclaim, "He is Risen!" if we don't remember the fact that Jesus first had to die. He went willingly to that cross for every single one of us! He died a horrible, painful death FOR US! The pastor at my church talked about this last week on Palm Sunday. She talked about how we go from one celebration (the triumphal entry of Jesus into Jerusalem) to another (Jesus rising from the grave) but we cannot forget the grief in the middle (the Crucifixion). It's the meat in the middle that gives both celebrations their extraordinary meaning.

I've stayed away from my blog because I have been leery to write things like this. It's been brewing for a little while but I don't write because I don't ever want to cause waves or ripples but I've realized something today. Not taking a stand on things, worrying about what other people think about me, it takes away from the glory of God. I've spent the last few years trying to serve two masters (the world and God) equally and it just can't be done. God deserves the glory, not man.

Remember this day that the shadow of the cross is on all of us and two thousand years ago a man walked willing to die on that cross for you.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish , but have everlasting life. John 3:16

No comments:

Post a Comment