Monday, February 7, 2011

"Lioness Arising" by Lisa Bevere

When I saw this book and requested it I was very excited. I thought that this was going to be a book to change my thinking and open me up to living God's word in my life.

This WAS a good book but I was strangely disappointed by this book. The whole book I had a vague feeling of unease while I was reading and it took some thinking for me to understand why.

First off, I don't know if Lisa was paraphrasing the scripture she used or was using a translation that I am not familiar with but I almost cringed every time I had to read the scripture she used.

Second, this book had a very feminist feel to it. What I got out of it was that women needed to rise up against not only the injustice of the world but also against men because they are the ones that opress women.

Also, I don't agree with Lisa when she says that women can have authority above men. As far as I know, the Bible is very clear on the roles of men and women in the church.

Like I said, I wanted to like this book but the overall tone of it for me was off. I don't recommend it.

I recieved this book from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing through their Blogging for Books program. I recieved this book for free and was not required to give a positive review or paid for my review.

2 comments:

  1. I have been studying the interlinears and lexicons for years now and recently scholars from the Christian gender equality interpretation of the earliest found scriptures and have come to believe that we have indeed adopted an oppressive doctrine of women created by the church. interlinears and lexicons are available free online. Now it is real easy for us to study for ourselves. I encourage you to look up all passages regarding women. As far as the paraphrase Lisa Bevere was quoting from The Message Bible. but even our beloved KJV was not written from original writings like most people think. Every translation and interpretation comes with a bias, I suppose just like every reviewer of a book has a bias. Since I have a gender equality bias I guess that is why I loved the book. I did not see Lisa Bevere as feminist (lord over or against men) but merely as equal heirs with men.

    ReplyDelete
  2. pattij553, thanks so much for commenting on my post :)

    I love that you got something different out of the book than I did. A good book should speak to you and this one by Lisa just didn't for me.

    ReplyDelete