Wednesday, January 26, 2011

"Unplanned" by Abby Johnson

This book is about Abby Johnson who was a director of a Planned Parenthood in Texas until she witnessed an ultrasound guided abortion and became pro-life.

There was both good and bad in this book for me. First off, without getting into too much of a discussion about abortion, I've been 'on the fence' about abortion for awhile now. When I started reading this book and read Abby's description of the abortion I felt sick to my stomach. It made me search myself and I 'fell of the fence' to the pro-life side.

I'm honestly very glad that Abby's story was in the media and she wrote this book. I think it's a story that needs to be told. In a country that tries to justify abortion by calling the babies that are killed, 'embryos' and 'clumps of cells' I'm glad that there are people out there who are affected by this and call it what it is, a baby's life ending.

Now, there were certain points in the book that I felt were too melodramatic. I realize that drama sells and maybe it's because I have never been on the front lines of the abortion fight, but the way Abby describes her first meeting with the Colilition for Life and those first few days with them seems overly dramatic to me. It took away from the story for me and seemed to drag a little bit.

Overall, this is an excellent book on a difficult topic that really needed to be told. Not all pro-lifers are the one's that scream out obscenities at the abortion clinics.

I recieved this book for free from the Tyndale Blog Network. I was not paid to give this review and all the opinions expressed are my own.

5 comments:

  1. Awesome blog,and welcome to the pro-life side. Like you, I was once on the fence... I fell off a few years ago, but Abby's book is so important, and I hope that it will help many others like you see the light! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Standing outside an abortuary as women struggle with the temptation to abort their babies, and watching as fathers drop off their young daughters to face their awful decision alone, and watching a man beat a woman in a car because she decided not to go through with the abortion--these things are dramatic. When someone leaves the abortuary and comes out to us, it is dramatic. Lives are being saved. And souls. This is dramatic. And the only obscenities I have ever heard while praying outside an abortuary are the obscenities yelled at me by abortuary workers, passersby, and other people whose hearts are hardened by their "choices". Why don't you join us on the sidewalk sometime and see our real-life drama for yourself?

    Disciple

    ReplyDelete
  3. Disciple, like I said, it's probably because I have not involved myself in this fight. No matter what side of this issue I've been on I haven't involved myself. Maybe that is something that will change in the future for me.

    I think it's admirable you are out there really working with these women and trying to show them that there are other ways.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annie, thanks so much for your kind comment and for being my first follower!

    ReplyDelete