Tuesday, January 18, 2011

"Sun Stand Still" by Steven Furtick

I've sat here for the past few minutes trying to figure out all that I wanted to say about this book.

First of all, this was a really wonderful book. It was easy to read, the chapters were short, and I didn't get the feeling that the author was talking (writing) just to hear himself talk (write lol). The basis of this book is, the author wants everyone to be able to have 'audatious' faith. What he means by that is to have faith to pray big prayers and not live a mediocre Christian life. He want's everyone to be able to find their vision of what God wants to do in their lives. He calls this a 'page 23' vision.

The basis of the book is about Joshua who prayed in battle that the sun wouldn't go down. He knew that he would lose the battle in the darkness and prayed that God would keep the sun shining to let them win. And He answered that prayer and the sun didn't go down for a full day.

Reading this book I realized that most of the Christians that I know, including myself, live this kind of watered down faith. There is so much more that God wants to do for all of us if we will only take that step. I think that Steven was right on when he said that we all have a page 23 vision inside of us. Most of us let the fear get to us though.

There was one point in the book that didn't sit well with me. There was only one chapter talking about when God chooses to not answer your 'Sun Stands Still' prayer. I really wish that the author would have gone into more depth in that. I'm afraid that some people will read the book and miss the meaning. I just think that some more caution would have been good in this book. But, I guess that might have defeated the purpose of the message that the author was trying to get across.

Overall this was a wonderful book. It makes you think that there may be gifts you aren't using or mercies that you walk away from by being too scared to reach out and take them. I recommend this book!

I got this book from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing through their Blogging for Books program. I got my copy for free and was not required to give a positive review. All thoughts are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment