Monday, December 13, 2010

Adventures in homemade cleaning products

So I've decided that I need to start making some of my cleaning products. I wish I could say it's because I want to be 'green' but the reality is I'm just trying to stretch our dollars until they scream. We have too much debt right now and need to cut back our spending.

The first thing I made was laundry soap. I made it in the middle of November and the batch I made is still going strong. I 'try' to do at least two loads of laundry a day (sometimes it's more, sometimes it's less) and I'm not even halfway done with the batch I made. It's cleans really well and it's so easy and cheap I don't think I will ever go back to store bought laundry soap again.

So then I decided that I should make our own dishwashing soap. I made a powder recipe because I had the ingredients on hand. It worked really well for the first couple of loads but then I got a chalky film over most of the plastic stuff and silverware. The glasses were hit or miss. I was really hoping that this would work.

So I'm going to try a liquid recipe and see if that does any better. I'm really hoping it works. I'm planning on trying to slowly start making as many things as I can. The nice thing about most of these recipes for cleaning products is that a lot of the ingredients can be used of other things. So if it doesn't work out I haven't wasted any money.

I'll try to post recipes that I know work for me at a later date.
Merry Christmas,
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment