Monday, March 15, 2010

The Story of Easter by Gwen Ellis

This is the latest book that I reviewed for booksneeze.com. It's a children's book that also has a free dvd included. I was anxious for this book to come, because as a new Christian I don't really know how to explain Easter to my children without being to graphic for a four year old.

When I got the book, I read through it first before reading it to my son Daemon. I was impressed with the way the book was laid out. It was broken up into short chapters with bright illustrations on each page. Perfect for keeping the interest of small children. Then at the end of the book they added a section called "Can you retell the story" and had all the illustrations from the book mixed up so children can go through the pictures and try to recall the story themselves. I thought this was a great learning tool.

The thing I was most worried about was how they were going to approach the death of Jesus. The book approached it very matter-of-fact. They told what happened, left out the more 'gory' and upsetting details and explained in a little blurb at the bottom of the page that the day Jesus died was a very sad day but God still had a wonderful plan.

Overall I was very impressed with this book. It was very age appropriate but still conveyed the message of Easter in a way that children can grasp it. I enjoyed the book, but more importantly my four year old son enjoyed the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment